Location: Oxygen House, Exeter
Term: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £26,000-£36,000 depending on qualifications and experience plus competitive bonus (up to 14%)
At Select Statistics we deliver high quality data analysis and support services to a wide range of sectors including ecommerce, healthcare, education and finance. No two projects are the same. Our job is to quickly understand the statistical challenge posed by a project, and to apply the most appropriate statistical methods to provide the best solution for our client.
We’re looking for ambitious, creative and hardworking statisticians to grow our consultancy team. In return, you’ll have a unique opportunity to help shape our friendly and dynamic company, as well as receiving our competitive remuneration package. You’ll also have the support of our experienced staff as you develop your statistical and business skills.
You’ll be based at our state-of-the-art office complex on the outskirts of Exeter, within easy access to the lively city centre and just minutes from the National Parks and surfing beaches that Devon is famous for. We share a lively and sociable working environment with a group of like-minded companies that share our strong passion for data analysis and commitment to high professional, ethical and environmental standards.
Job Description and Responsibilities
As a Statistical Consultant, you will be a core member of our team helping to deliver client projects. You’ll quickly get experience in scoping projects, carrying out statistical analysis and reporting the results to our clients. You will also be involved in the company’s promotional, marketing and outreach activities such as writing blogs for our website or attending networking events.
- Work with clients and other project team members to scope projects and write proposals describing how you would tackle a client problem.
- Carry out statistical analysis and work with the client to interpret the results and how they impact their business.
- Report findings back to a client, whether it is using a formal report, a client presentation or simply a conversation over the phone.
- Establish ongoing client relationships to encourage longer-term working partnerships.
- Develop new products and services that can be used by the team to actively grow our client portfolio.
- Keep our web content and marketing material up to date by identifying interesting topics that could be used for blogs or case studies.
Recent projects include predicting sales for one of the UK’s top 5 supermarkets, modelling customer retention for a national gym chain, identifying key customer segments for retailers, predicting household debt for a debt charity, forecasting stock prices, modelling traffic congestion within a city and testing the effectiveness of surgical procedures and veterinary treatments.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for ambitious early-career statisticians who are keen to develop experience as a Consultant and excited about the prospect of taking on a varied role in a growing business. You will be able to identify the right statistical techniques for approaching a project and communicate results to a non-technical audience. You are happy to work to deadlines, enjoy working in a team and are able to manage an evolving workload.
We’re looking for applicants who can demonstrate the following:
- A broad knowledge of statistical methods and applications with a minimum of a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Statistics. Practical consultancy experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Strong verbal and written skills together with the ability to communicate statistical ideas and concepts clearly and succinctly to a non-technical audience.
- Experience and expertise in using the statistical package R (or similar).
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new statistical techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to prioritise and manage multiple projects.
- A confident and professional manner.
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this post, please fill out our online application form.