Location: Oxygen House, Exeter
Term: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £36,000-£46,000 depending on qualifications and experience plus competitive bonus (up to 14%)
At Select Statistics we deliver high quality data analysis to a wide range of sectors including ecommerce, healthcare, education and finance. No two projects are the same. Our job is to quickly understand the statistical challenge posed by a project, and to apply the most appropriate statistical methods to provide the best solution for our client.
We’re looking for ambitious, creative and hardworking statisticians and data scientists to grow our consultancy team. Whilst we value a broad range of statistical skills, we’re also interested in candidates who would like to take an active role in developing and leading a sector within the business. This is likely to involve developing a portfolio of sector-specific products and establishing new client leads. In return, you’ll have a unique opportunity to help shape our friendly and dynamic company, as well as receiving our competitive remuneration package. You’ll also have the opportunity to build your own team of consultants to deliver client projects that you have secured.
You’ll be based at our state-of-the-art office complex on the outskirts of Exeter, within easy access to the lively city centre and just minutes from the National Parks and surfing beaches that Devon is famous for. We share a lively and sociable working environment with a group of like-minded companies that share our strong passion for data analysis and commitment to high professional, ethical and environmental standards.
Job Description and Responsibilities
As a Senior Statistical Consultant, you will be a core member of our team in charge of delivering client projects. You’ll be involved in scoping projects, carrying out statistical analysis and reporting the results to our clients and as the business grows supporting less experienced staff to develop their statistical and business skills. You will also be actively involved in the company’s promotional, marketing and outreach activities such as writing blogs for our website or attending networking events.
- Work with clients to scope projects and write proposals describing how you would tackle a client problem.
- Carry out statistical analysis and work with the client to interpret the results and how they impact their business.
- Report findings back to a client, whether it is using a formal report, a client presentation or simply a conversation over the phone.
- Establish ongoing client relationships to encourage longer-term working partnerships.
- Develop new products and services that can be used by the team to actively grow our client portfolio.
- Keep our web content and marketing material up to date by identifying interesting topics that could be used for blogs or case studies.
- Lead client projects and support other project team members where appropriate.
- Assist with strategic decision making and internal project development, helping to drive the company forwards.
Recent projects include predicting sales for one of the UK’s top 5 supermarkets, modelling customer retention for a national gym chain, identifying key customer segments for retailers, predicting household debt for a debt charity, forecasting stock prices, modelling traffic congestion within a city and testing the effectiveness of surgical procedures and veterinary treatments.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for ambitious statisticians with previous consulting experience who are keen to develop their career further and are excited about the prospect of taking on an active and varied role in a growing business. You will be able to identify the right statistical techniques for approaching a project and communicate results to a non-technical audience. You are happy to lead projects and work to deadlines, enjoy working in a team and are able to manage an evolving workload.
We’re looking for applicants who can demonstrate the following:
- A broad knowledge of statistical methods and applications with a minimum of a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Statistics. A minimum of 5 years practical consultancy experience or 2 years and a PhD is essential.
- Strong verbal and written skills together with the ability to communicate statistical ideas and concepts clearly and succinctly to a non-technical audience.
- An expert in using the statistical package R (or similar).
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new statistical techniques.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to prioritise and manage multiple projects.
- Experience of leading and managing teams to deliver client projects.
- Business or marketing experience would be beneficial.
- A confident and professional manner.
If you have any questions or would like more information about this position, please email email@example.com.
To apply for this post, please fill out our online application form by Friday 13th April 2018.