- Statistical Consultant
- Business Development Manager / Statistical Consultant
- Statistical Consultant/Programmer
- Statistical Services Manager
These appointments all represent fantastic opportunities for ambitious and creative statisticians to develop and maintain their experience and expertise in the practical application of statistics, by delivering professional statistical services across a variety of sectors including, but not limited to, ecommerce, market research, education, ecology, environment, healthcare, government, and finance.
These new additions to our consultancy team reflect both our recent success and our ambitious plans for the future. The consultancy team, together, is responsible for delivering a whole range of statistical services to a wide variety of public, private and third sector organisations. No two projects are the same and the successful applicants will need to be able to quickly understand the statistical challenge each project poses and to identify and apply the appropriate statistical methodology to provide the best solution.
Recent projects include real-time filtering of financial time series, national survey design and analysis, predictive modelling of UK property characteristics from messy and incomplete data, modelling customer behaviour and predicting future retail sales, testing the effectiveness of veterinary treatments and surgical procedures, and modelling the habitats and population dynamics of the UK’s great crested newt population. (For more detail on our recent work, check out our Case Studies.)
The post will be based at our state-of-the art office complex on the outskirts of Exeter within easy access to the lively city centre and just minutes from the National parks and surfing beaches that Devon is famous for. We share a lively and very sociable working environment with a small group of like-minded companies that share our strong passion for data analysis and commitment to high professional, ethical and environmental standards. Thus, our team enjoy the excitement and flexibility of working for a small and dynamic company whilst feeling part of a much bigger organisation with all the social and practical benefits that come with it.
Joint appointments between Select and the University of Exeter may also be possible for candidates with a PhD and a strong teaching or research background.
Skills and Experience
All applicants should have received a broad statistical education to Masters (or equivalent) level and those with experience of statistical modelling, statistical surveys, market research, business intelligence, medical statistics, data mining, statistical computing, multivariate analysis, experimental design or quality control are particularly encouraged.
Previous consultancy or teaching experience would also be an advantage for some roles and essential for others.
We would expect all applicants to be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong verbal and written skills together with the ability to communicate statistical ideas and concepts clearly and succinctly
- Broad knowledge of statistical methods and applications
- Considerable previous experience and expertise in using the statistical package R
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new statistical techniques
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects
- A confident and professional manner
Applicants for the business development manager position should also be able to demonstrate the following in addition to the statistical consulting skills listed above:
- Very strong written and oral communications skills
- Highly innovative and strategic thinker
- Exceptionally strong people skills
- Strong track record of statistical research or consulting
- Previous marketing experience, though not necessary, would be an advantage
Applicants for the statistical services manager position should also be able to demonstrate the following in addition to the statistical consulting skills listed above:
- Previous experience (minimum 3 years) leading a statistical consulting or research group
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Strong statistical research or consulting background
- Broad knowledge of statistical methods and applications
Applicants for the programming position should also be able to demonstrate the following in addition to the statistical consulting skills listed above:
- Exceptional programming skills with expertise in programming in at least some of the following languages: python, PHP, VB, C#, C++ and C
- Strong database skills with expertise in MySQL and (optionally) MSSQL and MS Access
- Optionally, experience in web development and especially in the use and development of the Drupal CMS system
For more details on the responsibilities and requirements for each role, please refer to the individual job descriptions (by following the links at the top of this page).
The company currently offers the following benefits to all staff:
- Fantastic offices with extensive on-site gym and sports facilities, café and social areas
- Free on-site breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea (all organically produced and cooked fresh)
- Lively social calendar with regular sports training and competitions, social events and outings to local and national events
- Staff and family-oriented organisation with strong commitment to staff development and support
- Free on-site parking
- 20 days holiday increasing with service to 30 days per year (plus public holidays)
For more detailed job descriptions for each of our vacant positions, please follow the links at the top of this page, If you have any questions about any of the positions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for one or more of these vacancies, please fill in our online application form.